Seasonal Burger: Spring
March 21, 2022
4 min. read
Say “goodbye” to winter and “hello” to spring. That’s right—the first official day of spring was Sunday, March 20, 2022. That means that the last of winter’s frosty days are hopefully soon behind us, and we get to look forward to longer, more sunshine-y days in the near future.
While winter certainly has its perks (think: cozy fires, Christmas cheer, and scenic snowy landscapes), we love spring just as much!
To celebrate the occasion, here are a few of our favorite things about the season:
- Longer days and shorter nights (i.e., more sunlight)
- Mild weather and pleasant temperatures
- Fresh air
- More time spent outdoors
- Sounds of nature
- Colorful scenery: green grass, flowers in bloom, clear blue skies
- Fresh local produce
Check out our Spring Resources Guide at the bottom of this blog for some great info!
Introducing: Martin’s Seasonal Burger Blog Series
One of the key benefits about living in a ‘temperate’ climate zone is having the opportunity to sample each of the four seasons equally and learn to appreciate its unique benefits. This is especially true when it comes to seasonal produce! If you’ve been a subscriber to our blog for a while, you will know that we love to highlight seasonal recipes that focus on fresh, local fruits and veggies throughout the year as the seasons change.
This year, we decided to commemorate the beginning of each season with a special edition burger recipe—made with key elements that illustrate the best features of that season.
So…without further ado, we present: Martin’s Spring Seasonal Burger Recipe!
Martin’s Spring Burger: Parmesan Burger with Asparagus and Parmesan Crisps
Another plus side to spring is a return to outdoor grilling. That fact alone may have you grilling up burgers every chance you get! For this celebration of spring, we topped our seasonal burger with freshly grilled asparagus, flavored mayo, bacon, and a crisp round of baked parmesan. Light yet comforting, fresh yet savory, this burger highlights the best elements of the budding season.
Learn more about the key ingredients of this recipe below!
About This Recipe
For the burger patties, we used 1 lb. lean ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and ½ cup grated parmesan cheese. The lean beef helps keep this burger on the “lighter” side, while the grated parmesan adds an additional savory element we often associate with comfort food.
Depending on your local weather, you can choose to either grill your burger patties outdoors, or use an indoor grill pan or skillet. Grill over medium-high heat until cooked to your desired level.
The Parmesan Crisps:
Parmesan cheese is the perfect cross between winter comfort food and refreshing springtime fare. It is savory and indulgent to the taste buds, while at the same time being less filling than rich, creamy cheeses like cheddar or American. (Bonus: it’s also high in protein and certain other nutrients.)
To prepare, arrange four piles of shredded parmesan cheese (about 1 ½ tablespoons each) onto a prepared baking sheet. Flatten into rounds and bake in a 400 degrees F oven for around 3-5 minutes until golden. Let cool.
Asparagus is a popular choice for spring produce, with its standard season lasting from late February through June. The bright-green vegetable adds a pop of color to our seasonal burger, and brings a touch of freshness to an otherwise hearty meal. Its slightly bitter and earthy flavor pairs well with the saltiness of the parmesan cheese, and its subtle crunch adds a nice contrast to the juicy beef patty.
If you’ve decided to grill your burger outdoors, you can also throw a few whole spears of asparagus on the grill and cook until lightly charred. Otherwise, chop into 1-inch pieces and sauté in a skillet over medium heat until tender with a bit of crunch. (Tip: try spritzing the asparagus with a bit of lemon juice for an added burst of freshness.)
- Bacon: Because bacon makes everything better.
- Mayo + Parmesan Cheese: Because you can never have too much cheese. (Tip: for even more spring vibes, try mixing in your favorite herbs, like basil or rosemary.)
- Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls: Because a great burger needs a great bun. Also, this size bun is ideal for ¼ pound patties!
View the full recipe at: https://potatorolls.com/recipes/parmesan-burger-with-asparagus-and-parmesan-crisps
Watch our stop-motion recipe video below!
Additional Spring Resources
- Bright & Springy 7-Day Meal Plan – A week’s worth of recipes, featuring vibrant flavors and fresh seasonal produce.
- Monthly Burger Series: Easter Burger – Lamb & Egg Burger with cheddar, bacon, and pineapple.
- Fresh Sammies – Spring sandwich recipes using seasonal veggies and fresh herbs.
- Make It Springy Blog – Four creative ways to use fresh spring produce in your recipes!
- Make It Flavorful Blog – Fun facts about favorite spring herbs and how to incorporate them.
- Make It Homegrown – Alternate gardening tips and garden-fresh recipes to make at home.
- Homegrown Resources Page – A Guide to Spring Produce: helpful information including recipes, gardening tips, and more great resources.
Spring Blog Archive: https://potatorolls.com/blog/tag/spring/
Our latest content, delivered straight to your inbox.
Be the first to hear about our newest recipes, tips, and company updates!