Packing your daily work or school lunches may be routine, but your sandwiches don’t have to be! Turn your lunch from boring to extraordinary by swapping out the plain mayo and mustard for a simple yet creative homemade sandwich spread.
It can be as easy as adding a few herbs or spices to your favorite condiment, or mixing together a few favorite flavors, but the result will take your sandwiches to a whole new level of deliciousness! Try prepping some spreads ahead of time for quick sandwich assembly in the morning!
Check out these 15 creative sandwiches spread and recipe pairings:
- This Honey, Balsamic, & Whole Grain Mustard Sauce adds a burst of sweet and savory flavor—perfect for simple sandwiches like ham and cheese that need a slight kick.
- Make your own homemade Submarine Dressing with olive oil, vinegar, and dried Italian herbs to top off your favorite subs, like a classic Italian Hoagie.
- This White Bean Garlic Dip is a great, healthy alternative for traditional spreads like hummus. It’s a great way to add more flavor and a bit of protein to your favorite veggie or chicken sandwich. Bonus – it also works great as a dip!
- A simple Garlic-Basil Mayo spread is a delicious way to add a bit of creaminess to meals like this Turkey Veggie Sandwich!
- Try a Smoky French Dressing made with ketchup, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, garlic and chipotle, as a bold taste for recipes like Grilled Asparagus Subs.
- Avocado is a great, nutritious way to add some creaminess and healthy fats to your meal. This recipe for Avocado Herb Dip is perfect as a sandwich spread or as a dip for chips or veggies.
- Whip up some yummy Herbed Goat Cheese by mixing together softened goat cheese, garlic, basil, parsley, and chives. Check it out in this Roast Beef Sandwich
- Who doesn’t love barbecue sauce? It can turn any ordinary meal or sandwich into a whole new creation. Make your own Kansas City-Style BBQ Sauce to use in all your favorite recipes, or try one of these other BBQ sauces.
- Add some extra smokiness to your sandwich by combining mayonnaise with chopped chipotle chilies in adobo! Try this delicious Chipotle Mayo on a BBQ Flank Steak Sandwich.
- Spice things up with a Cajun Aioli, with flavors like garlic, creole mustard, cayenne, and a dash of tabasco! Also great on New Orleans-style recipes like Grilled Shrimp Po’ Boys.
- Or—sweeten things up with a Maple-Infused Honey Mustard Try it with the classic pairing of fried chicken in this Chicken & Waffle Sandwich recipe.
- Do your lunches need a bit of heat? Try adding a simple Sriracha Mayo It goes great on any sandwich, along with Asian-style recipes like these Slaw Dogs.
- Hummus is wonderful as a sandwich spread! Made from chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and tahini, it adds extra protein, vitamins, and healthy fats. Try this Beet Hummus variation on your next sandwich!
- Mustard and mayonnaise are both common sandwich condiments, but have you ever tried combining them? This Mustard-Mayonnaise Spread combines mayo with Dijon and whole grain mustards, plus a bit of sour cream. You can also try adding horseradish for an extra kick. Pair it with anything from roast beef or cold-cuts to this Hanger Steak Sandwich.
- This delicious and flavorful Dill Sauce, made with yogurt, fresh dill, mustard, olive oil, vinegar, and spices, is perfect on recipes like Veggie Sandwiches or Garden Dogs.
Our latest content, delivered straight to your inbox.
Be the first to hear about our newest recipes, tips, and company updates!