Chicken Cordon Bleu with Homemade Martin’s Breadcrumbs
For Homemade Breadcrumbs:
4 Slices Frozen Martin’s Whole Wheat Potato Bread
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
2 Tablespoons Wheat Germ (optional)
2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed (optional)
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
For Chicken Cordon Bleu:
1 Whole Chicken Breast (separate breasts and slice each into 3 even flat pieces; 6 pieces total)
1 1/2 Cups Homemade Breadcrumbs (See Above)
3 Slices Ham, cut in half lengthwise into 6 pieces
3 Slices Baby Swiss Cheese, cut in half into 6 pieces
1 Egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon Water
2 Tablespoons Oil
Prepare Breadcrumbs (makes about 2 cups):
- Break 2 slices of frozen bread into smaller pieces and place into blender. Mix for about 10-15 seconds or until you get fine crumbs.
- Empty the crumbs into a pan or skillet. Toast crumbs over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Remove crumbs into a mixing bowl. Repeat steps 1-3 with the other 2 slices of bread. Note: the breadcrumbs toast much easier in smaller batches.
- Add remaining spices into toasted breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Use immediate or place in an air tight container and store in the freezer until future use.
Prepare Chicken Cordon Bleu (makes 4-6 servings):
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13×9” baking dish with oil.
Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and mix water and eggs in another.
Place one slice of ham and one slice of cheese on one slice of chicken. Roll starting from smaller end.
While holding the rolled chicken in your hand, dip in egg mixture and then into bread crumbs, making to cover all sides. Although some like to use a toothpick to hold in place, I just carefully place the seam side down in the baking dish.
Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the thickest part. *Note that the part of the chicken touching the ham will look slightly pink.
Recipe Created By: Christine @ My Epicurean Adventures
Read the full post at: http://www.myepicureanadventures.com/2016/11/homemade-martins-breadcrumbs.html