Prepare Creamed Corn:
– Cut the tip off each cob. In a large bowl, cut the kernels from each cob with a small paring knife. Using the back of the blade, scrape against the cob to press out the milky liquid.
– Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
– Add the corn and juices, 3 tablespoons water, and sugar. Cook, stirring, until the corn is tender.
– Stir in flour and water mixture, salt, and pepper, blending well. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
– Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Simmer about 2 minutes longer, or until creamy.
– Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add 2 cups creamed corn and sugar; mix well.
Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a greased 9-inch square baking dish.
Pour egg mixture over bread. Dot with butter.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.