If the term “French toast” brings to mind a tall stack of eggy, cinnamony bread with a pat of butter and streams of maple syrup dripping down the sides, you’re not alone. Sweet French toast is, by far, the most common interpretation of the classic breakfast dish.
However, not everyone is a sweets-for-breakfast lover. If you’re one of the many who prefer a savory start to the morning, you probably don’t find yourself ordering (or preparing) dishes like pancakes or French toast very often, no matter how delicious they seem.
Well, that all ends today.
Savory French Toast lets you enjoy that classic stack of grilled, eggy bread in your favorite breakfast flavors, like garlic, onion, cheese, and bacon.
Try two savory twists on the classic French toast with our below recipes for Parmesan-Herb French Toast with Bacon and Hollandaise Sauce, and Everything Bagel French Toast.
* * *
How to Make Hollandaise Sauce
Hollandaise isn’t just for eggs benedict! Make your own homemade sauce to use as a topping for your favorite savory breakfast items.
Yield: 1 cup
- 3 Egg Yolks
- ¼ Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Dash Hot Sauce
- ½ Cup Butter
- In a food processor or blender, pulse together egg yolks, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and hot sauce until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave, until hot.
- Gradually pour the hot butter into the food processor or blender while continuing to mix on low. Blend mixture until thick.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Place the small bowl in a larger bowl filled with hot water to keep warm until ready to serve.
Parmesan-Herb French Toast with Bacon and Hollandaise Sauce
For this French toast variation, mix savory flavors like scallions, parsley, garlic, parmesan, salt, and pepper directly into the egg and cream batter prior to frying. Top the golden brown toasts with crumbled bacon, more fresh herbs, and a creamy homemade hollandaise sauce using the above recipe.
* * *
How to Make Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning
What’s not to love about an everything bagel? There’s plenty of crunch, texture, and bold flavors to kick off your morning. Try this seasoning blend on everything from omelets to avocado toast!
Yield: ½ cup
- 2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds (white or black)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Minced Onion
- 2 Teaspoons Course Sea Salt
- In a small bowl, combine the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and salt. Mix to combine. Store in a jar with lid.
“Everything Bagel” French Toast
A new spin on a classic breakfast item. Add homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning (using the above recipe) to your batter to make this French toast creation. The blend of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, and sea salt adds a wonderfully crunchy finish to these French toasts. Don’t forget the cream cheese to top them all off!
Our latest content, delivered straight to your inbox.
Be the first to hear about our newest recipes, tips, and company updates!