A Family Company
The Martin family at our 2015 Company Picnic
Left to Right: Joe, Jackie, Jim, Donna, Tony, and Julie Martin
We know family is important.
Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppe, Inc. was founded by Lloyd and Lois Martin in 1955 and is still owned and operated by the Martin family to this day. Not only that, but we also consider ourselves one big work family. Each member of our “family” has a key role in the success of the company, and working together is what helps us make the high-quality product you see each week on your grocery store shelf.
We also know the importance of celebrating.
We hope you’ll take some time out this summer to spend with family. Plan a week-long trip, host a picnic, or surprise a neighbor with a dinner invite. Plan a “Just Because” day or choose from the below list of upcoming holidays to celebrate various members of your family.
- July 24 – National Cousins Day
- July 24 – National Parent’s Day
- July 26 – National Aunt and Uncle’s Day
- August 7 – National Sisters Day
- August 7 – National Friendship Day
- August 7 – American Family Day
- August 11 – National Son and Daughter Day
In honor of families, we interviewed the Martin family to see what they love most about the company and getting to work alongside each other every day. Check out some of their responses below:
- What is your favorite memory from your time working at Martin’s?
- What do you like most about working together as a family?
- What aspect of Martin’s history are you most proud of?
- What is your favorite thing to eat on a Martin’s product?
- Which product is your favorite and why?
Jim Martin – President:
- Working with and knowing so many wonderful people
- Very efficient networked communications for business and family
- GOD’s long term blessing on our determinate focus on quality and service
- Shake Shack
- Whole Wheat Potato Bread
Joseph Martin – Vice President of Production Operations
- Starting up the bakery in Valdosta
- We all share a common goal
- Making decisions based on ethics even when it costs us sales
- A double Wagyu burger
- Party rolls with a dab of butter
Jackie Martin – Director of Strategic Initiatives
- That’s tough. I have had a lot of great memories working here. One of the most memorable times I’ve had was going to Taste of Chicago when it was rained out. It was my morning off but I saw it was raining. I was already ready when Katie [Martin’s Campaign Manager] called asking me to come over to the booth. When I got there all of our supplies were under about 4-10 inches of water (depending on the slope where things were sitting). Katie and I did our best to get things off of the ground and seal up any leaking areas in the tent. Then we sat on the table laughing about the crazy situation we found ourselves in. That was a definite memory that I will never forget.
- I enjoy being able to see my family regularly. It’s great seeing everyone excel in the different roles they are in. We each have different personalities and gifts. It’s great seeing how all of them are used.
- It’s always amazing to me to see how the company started and then see where it is today. I’m proud of my heritage and how hard they worked to provide a place of employment for many people. I’m proud they there is a legacy of giving to organizations outside of Martin’s through the profits generated.
- My quick go-to is always toasted Whole Wheat Potato Bread with peanut butter and honey. I always love to try new recipes with our products. A few days ago I made quick sticky buns from stale potato dinner rolls I had on my shelf.
- Picking a favorite is hard. I like so many of our products and use them for different things. The one I probably buy the most is the Whole Wheat Potato Bread. I find it to be very versatile. I also like that it has whole grains in it.
We’d love for you to connect with us on social media and let us know how you’re celebrating your family this summer! Chat with us via the links below.
If you’re looking for fun activities to do this summer with your family, make sure to check out our Staycation Resource Page!
From our family to yours, Happy Summer!
Subscribe and Stay Connected
All of our blog posts, straight to your inbox.Subscribe