Product Highlight: Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls
May 21, 2018
9 min. read
Image courtesy of Fox Valley Foodie
It’s grilling time! The warm weather and bright, sunny days call for weekly cookouts filled with juicy cheeseburgers, barbecue, and grilled chicken sandwiches. So as you prepare for the many grilling sessions in your near future, you’ll want to be sure to master your grilling technique.
You may be wondering, “What makes the perfect burger?” Well…it seems like many professional and amateur chefs alike have discovered a little secret—it all starts with the bun!
A bad bun can ruin the whole burger; if it crumbles in your hands or gets soggy before it ever reaches your mouth, what good is it?
So your next question may be… “Well, then what’s the best bun for my burger?” For millions of burger lovers around the globe, the answer would be “a potato roll!”
And what bun is more synonymous with summer grilling than a Martin’s Sandwich Potato Roll? It’s the perfect size for all your summer grilling needs, able to stand up to a big, juicy patty with all your favorite fixings. Its subtle sweetness perfectly complements that salty burger or tangy barbecue, and its soft, plush texture adds just the right amount of bite without throwing off the meat-to-bun ratio.
Maybe that’s the reason it’s the #1 Branded Potato Bun in America and is used by numerous chefs and restaurant owners around the world!
But don’t just take our word for it… Hear what others have to say:
- “If you’ve had a burger in the past fifty years, chances are you’ve tried it at least once: America’s most famous burger bun. You’ll recognize it from its slight sweetness, pillowy texture, and giveaway yellow crumbs. It’s the bun that doesn’t get soggy, even when met with a juicy tomato slice or dripping patty. It’s the bun that squishes when you grip it, but remains crispy on your tongue. It’s the bun that people across the U.S. have grown to love. Meet Martin’s Famous Potato Roll, the No.1 burger bun in the country… With a buttery sweetness and unique texture of that fluffy core and crispy coating, Martin’s is arguably the gold standard of buns… With so many reasons to love America’s favorite burger bun, we’re ready to make it our favorite as well.” (Taste of Home)
- “The gold standard of burger buns, its signature yellow crumb, buttery-sweet flavor, and soft but substantial texture make it the ideal partner for beef and cheese.” (SeriousEats)
- “Out of all the buns that were tested in the early days, what we found was great about Martin’s was that it cradled the meat perfectly — it absorbed the juices, but it didn’t become soggy.” (Shake Shack’s Mark Rosati via Eater)
- “So what is the perfect burger? It’d definitely be a Martin’s Potato Roll toasted with butter, two thin patties, a light schmear of thousand island, American cheese, and grilled onions” (Chef Alvin Cailan via Esquire)
- “The Bun: It’s perfect. The best part of the Shake Shack burger. It has the structural integrity of a cloud. Soon as you touch it, it squishes and condenses into a delicious crepe of glistening carbs. It’s no longer a bun. It is a tailored bread-suit for your burger…This bun has that squeezable, perfectly chewy charm. Yet, unlike Wonderbread, the Shake Shack bun has flavor—eggy, potatoey, buttery. They don’t make it, but buy the potato bun from Martin’s, an east coast icon. It beats In N Out’s bread by a mile. You could stick your child’s disappointing report card between this bun and it would taste delicious.” (San Diego Magazine)
- “I’m a potato bun guy. It’s soft and squishy, and if you toast it before you eat it—I brush mine with butter—you get the inside crisp and the outside remains soft and squishy so you get that contrast in texture. It’s little details like that, that make a burger go from good to mind blowing.” (Mark Rosati via Sports Illustrated)
- “I was still missing a critical ingredient: the buns. Enter, Martin’s Potato Rolls. Shake Shack will tell you that the Martin’s Potato Roll from Pennsylvania is essential to the burger. It’s soft, it soaks up the juices, and it just is delicious. It’s the perfect burger bun.” (@chasegallagher, Medium)
- “Martin’s potato rolls are the best vehicle for a fast food sized ground beef patty.” (com)
- “[BYH Burgers] come on Martin’s potato rolls. ‘I don’t think there’s anyone in the culinary world that won’t say they’re one of the greatest rolls for a burger.’” (John Gorham via Eater)
Read more about this month’s featured product below, including a list of restaurants serving it on their menus, and some mouthwatering recipes you need to try!
* * *
About Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls
Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls are the #1 Branded Hamburger Roll in America*. In addition to being used by various food service venues, these rolls have helped chefs and restaurateurs win numerous cooking competitions. Consumers love the soft texture of this roll and its ability to hold up to a hefty burger piled high with condiments (with some help from the “hinge”).
*according to IRI sales data
Just this past February, for instance, at the Food Network and Cooking Channel South Beach Wine and Food Festival Burger Bash, Miami restaurant Swine Southern Table & Bar won the People’s Choice Award for their Swine Burger, of which Miami.com says the following: “It’s served on a Martin’s potato roll, which any burger lover knows is the gold standard for burger buns.”
While our first potato roll product was our Dinner Potato Rolls, you could say our Sandwich Potato Rolls are what made us truly “famous.” They’re what we’re most known for and are our best-selling product. To hear more about how Martin’s Potato Rolls became “famous,” check out the Eater.com article, “How Martin’s Potato Rolls Became the ‘It’ Burger Bun.”
Fun Fact: The Martin’s Sandwich Potato Roll is world famous. It has been used for hamburger recipes in restaurants in more than 27 countries!
More Facts about Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls:
- Made with high-quality ingredients including high protein unbleached wheat flour, real milk, potato flour, yeast, real butter, and pure cane sugar.
- No High Fructose Corn Syrup
- No Artificial Dyes
- No Azodicarbonamide (ADA)
- No Trans Fats
- Kosher classification of “K Dairy”
- Contains B Vitamins and Calcium
Learn more about Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls at: potatorolls.com/products/sandwich-potato-rolls
* * *
America’s Bun of Choice
You may have heard Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls referred to as “the Shake Shack bun.” While it’s true that Martin’s is the bun of choice for Shake Shack restaurants around the globe, they are also used by a multitude of other restaurants and food service establishments across the country and even internationally.
Here are some of the many restaurants that use Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls for their delicious burger, barbecue, and sandwich creations!
- Arooga’s Grille House and Sports Bar – multiple locations
- BRD – Baltimore, MD
- Backyard BBQ – Arlington, VA
- Belcampo – California
- Bella’s Burger Shack – Basking Ridge, NJ
- Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer – multiple locations
- BND Burger (Wood Tavern) – Miami, FL
- Burger City – East Meadow, NY
- Burger Libre – La Porte, TX
- Burger U – Orlando, FL (UCF Campus)
- Burger Yum – Harrisburg, PA
- BYH Burgers – Portland, OR
- Clydes – Washington, DC
- dNB Burgers – New Bedford, MA
- Federal Donuts – Philadelphia, PA
- Fuku – New York, NY
- Good Stuff Eatery – multiple locations
- Grindhouse Killer Burgers – Atlanta, GA
- Hard Times Sundaes – Brooklyn, New York
- Hill Country BBQ – Washington, DC; New York, NY
- Hollywood Burger – Los Angeles, CA
- Hugh Baby’s BBQ & Burger Shop – Nashville, TN
- Hunger Burger – Philadelphia, PA
- Iron Hill Brewery – multiple locations
- Jack Brown’s Beer & Burger Joint – multiple locations
- Jack Rabbit’s – Old Saybrook, CT
- Kaleidoscope Bistro & Pub – Atlanta, GA
- Kings Bowl – multiple locations
- Lexie’s Joint –New Hampshire; Massachusetts
- Little Donkey – Cambridge, MA
- Local Burger Co – Bay Shore, NY
- Local 27101 – Winston-Salem, NC
- Margate Dairy Bar & Burger – Margate City, NJ
- Max Burger – Connecticut; Massachusetts
- Max Downtown – Hartford, CT
- Max Oyster Bar – West Hartford, CT
- Max’s Tavern – Springfield, MA
- Mission – Newport, RI
- Nancy’s BBQ – Sarasota, FL
- Phillips Seafood – multiple locations
- Prime Burger – Glassboro, NJ
- Q Barbeque – Richmond, VA
- Retro’s Good Eats – Williamsburg, VA
- Rise Biscuits & Donuts – multiple locations
- Rocklands BBQ – Washington, DC; Northern VA
- Sergio’s – Miami, FL
- Shake Shack – multiple locations
- Sid’s Burgers – Glen Cove, NY
- Smacks Burgers & Shakes – Sarasota, FL
- Standard Burger – Staten Island, NY
- Steelbach – Tampa, FL
- Superchix – Dallas, TX
- The Hamburger Stand – Biddeford, ME
- The Knack – Cape Cod, MA
- The Pit Authentic BBQ – Raleigh, NC; Durham, NC
- Speakeatery – Asbury Park, NJ
- Swine Southern – Miami, FL
- Vanish Farmwoods Brewery – Leesburg, VA
- Winner Winner – Newport, RI
- WU Burger – Woburn, MA
In addition to these restaurants (and many others), Martin’s rolls are also used in many college campuses and dining halls, airports, sporting arenas, catering companies, country clubs, and other food service institutions across the United States and internationally. For more information about our food service division, please visit: https://foodservice.potatorolls.com.
* * *
Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls are a summertime favorite with recipes like burgers and barbecue. The subtle sweetness of the roll creates a perfect balance for the salty and umami flavor of grilled meats and cheesy toppings. Meanwhile, the soft and squishy texture is a favorite among foodies; some even like it buttered and griddled for a bit of added crunch!
Try these delicious summer recipes on Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls!
Brown Butter Burgers
Don’t let their simple presentation and short ingredient list fool you—these burgers are packed full of flavor. Carefully browned butter is chilled then added into the ground beef patties, providing a wonderful nutty flavor and aroma as they are grilled to perfection. A few classic toppings like fresh tomato slices, red onion, lettuce, and some cheese are all you need to take this burger over the top.
Pulled Pork with Sweet Corn Slaw
What says “summer” more than some pulled pork barbecue, coleslaw, and sweet yellow corn? This recipe brings it all together with seasoned pork shoulder cooked in a slow cooker (perfect for those summer potlucks), then topped with a creamy cabbage and corn slaw. Add a side of potato salad, some potato chips, and a refreshing iced tea and you have the perfect picnic spread!
Blackened Chicken Sandwich with Cajun Mayo
This super-flavorful grilled chicken is seasoned with a Cajun-inspired “blackening seasoning” of paprika, onion, garlic, cayenne, white pepper, black pepper, thyme, oregano, and chipotle chili powder, making it reminiscent of Louisiana creole cuisine. Top with some fresh lettuce and tomato slices and a dollop of (slightly) cooling Cajun mayo spread and you have yourself a flavor-packed (albeit fairly spicy) chicken sandwich!
More Sandwich Roll Recipes:
Check out all the different ways you can enjoy Martin’s Sandwich Potato Rolls or visit our recipes archive for more delicious inspiration!
Our latest content, delivered straight to your inbox.
Be the first to hear about our newest recipes, tips, and company updates!