TIPS FOR THE NEW YEAR
- Make physical activity a part of your daily life
- Performing moderate-intensity physical activity is an important part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Try a strength training program! Start off by doing 8 to 10 strength training exercises at 8 to 12 repetitions of each exercise. Work your way up to training at least 2 times per week.
- For weight control: consider counting calories, controlling numbers of servings or portion sizes, or using a point system.
- Maintain proper nutrition; determine your specific nutritional needs .
- Be sure to eat a balanced diet every day – one that is rich in fruits, vegetables, fiber & whole grains, and lean protein.
- Stay properly hydrated! Daily requirements are dependent on individual body composition and physical activity levels. A general guideline to follow is half your body weight in ounces of water per day.
MAKE IT FUN!
- Play a game with the whole family. Games, such as hide and seek or musical chairs, are a great way to burn calories, have fun, and enjoy family time!
- Dancing is a great way to stay active. The freeze game involves playing music while the whole family dances. The first one to freeze when the music stops wins!
- Cleaning the house does not have to be drudgery. Make it fun or competitive (e.g. the first one to finish cleaning will get a reward).
- Bodyweight exercises, such as pushups, squats, and sit-ups, can be fun for the whole family. The first one to reach 100 total reps of all three exercises wins!
STAY ACTIVE THROUGH THE WINTER
Although it’s cold outside, it is just as important to stay active during the winter months as it is during the summer months. Some of the benefits of staying active are:
- Strengthened immune system
- Increased quality of sleep
- Reduced stress
- Elevated mood
- Increased capacity to lose or maintain weight
THINK OUTSIDE THE…COUCH
When cold, snowy, icy weather comes your way, resist the urge to ‘hibernate.’ Winter offers lots of opportunities for fun, family fitness, so put on those mittens and get outdoors!
Our latest content, delivered straight to your inbox.
Be the first to hear about our newest recipes, tips, and company updates!